Beware fake Australian Government climate change website
SCAMwatch is warning Australian consumers to beware of a fake website pretending to be the official Australia Government Department of Climate Change website.
The official government site has the following web address: www.climatechange.gov.au.
The copied site appears identical to the Department of Climate Change site but has a different web address: www.fsasshoes.co.cc.
- Most Australian government websites use the '.gov.au' extension – never .org, .net or .com
- If you know what the correct internet address should be, check the address of the site you are viewing matches and ensure it hasn’t changed from what you entered or expected.
- Government services are never paid via wire transfer.
- The Australian Government website www.australia.gov.au is a safe portal for finding government services.
- Be wary of misused trust marks, logos, seals of approval – they may just be copies and not the real thing.
- Never enter your personal, credit card or banking details on a website unless you have checked it is authentic—scammers can use your details to commit identity fraud or steal your money.
- Keep your computer programs updated - many programs give you the option to receive updates automatically. Install and regularly update antivirus, antispyware and firewall software.
- If you think you have provided your account details to a scammer, contact your bank or financial institution immediately.
You can report scams to the ACCC via the report a scam page on SCAMwatch.